Was watching a healthy cooking presentation recently and listened to the presenters describe why chicken is not the healthiest thing for us to eat. A poultry farmer can obtain the government certification of being a ‘free range’ poultry house as long as there is a door on the chicken house. Unless you see for yourself that the chickens you are eating are free range, you may want to avoid eating chicken.
Poultry farmers are in business to grow large chickens as fast as possible. Many poultry farmers give their chickens:
1) Arsenic to keep chickens from moving around so the chickens fatten up quicker.
2) Antibiotics to keep chickens from getting sick or diseased.
3) Growth hormones to speed up growth in the chickens.
If you ever visit a chicken house, you would see the chickens walking around in animal feces due to having arsenic in their food and you would have a hard time staying in the chicken house long because of the odor.
Is there an alternative to eating chickens? Yes. You can make a good tasting substitute and not have to worry about diseased animals. I was not able to get the exact measurements of the recipe the cooking show presenters gave but have a good idea the following will work.
1. Buy a Firm package of Tofu and freeze overnight. Thaw next morning if you will make this for your evening meal.
2. In a mixing bowl add:
1/4 cup of bread crumbs
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1/2 cup of yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup of whole wheat pastry flour
3. In a smaller bowl add:
1/2 cup soymilk
2 Tablespoons of Braggs Liquid Aminos or a Healthy Soy Sauce and stir wet mixture to blend.
4. Cut tofu strips to resemble a long chicken nugget. You should be able to get at least 8 strips.
5. Dip in wet mixture and saturate so the tofu strips will pick up the flavors then put in dry mix bowl and get all four sides breaded.
6. Place 2-3 Tablespoons of olive oil in skillet and fry on medium heat making sure you turn to get all four sides browned. Enjoy your new alternative to chicken nuggets.