I want to share a delicious recipe with the world. I made this today during a typically busy Monday afternoon in business. Prep time is about 20 minutes. Cooking time is 30 minutes.
Entrees-Loafs and Patties
- 2 – 12 ounce bricks tofu
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup finely diced onions (or 1/2 cup dried onion flakes)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 tsp. sage
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. vege or sea salt
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 Tbs. McKay’s Chicken Seasoning
1. Place bread crumbs, walnuts, oatmeal, onions and seasonings in a large mixing bowl.
Hint: Make bread crumbs out of slices of 100 % whole wheat bread in your blender or food processor. Next whiz the walnuts into fine pieces about the size of coarse meal. If using a food processor, the onion can be finely chopped too.
2. Blend tofu with water and Liquid Aminos in blender; add to the bread crumb mixture in the bowl and mix well.
Hint: If your blender has less than a 6 cup capacity, you will have to blend in 2 batches.
3. Place in mounds on a non-stick or oiled cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top and bottom.
Hint: The fastest, neatest way to make these is with an ice cream scoop-large, medium, or small-whatever size you like. The mix should be quite moist-too wet to make balls with your hands. The dryness of your breadcrumbs will make a difference with this, but you can add more water if they seem too dry. A dry mix makes a heavier, drier product, whereas a moist mix results in a lighter, more moist and superior product.
4. Serve with Sweet-Sour Sauce
Hint: We like to place the balls or patties in a casserole dish and drizzle with Sweet-Sour Sauce. Then heat in oven just before serving.
1/4 Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
1/4 cup honey
1 3/4 cups water
1/4 cup cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup water
Mix all together in blender. Pour into a pot and stir while bringing to a boil. Serve over Tofu Walnut Balls or a stir-fry-type vegetable dish.
Prep Time for Sauce: 5 min
Cooking Time: 5 min
Makes about 2 1/2 cups.